This Daily Current Affair Capsule give an informative brief cof important and relevant news from national dailies and government releases on PIB. Aspirants for UPSC IAS, CDS, SSC CGL, NDA, etc. will find this highly useful.
National Important Current Affairs – 15 October 2017
■ The Prime Minister, Narendra Modi, laid the foundation stone for four sewerage projects under the Namami Gange programme; and four National Highway projects, at Mokama in Bihar with a total outlay of Rs. 3700 crore. Prime Minister addressed the crowd saying that he is delighted to come to a land closely associated with the great poet Ramdhari Singh Dinkar . The Prime Minister also addressed the Centenary Celebrations of Patna University.
Ramdhari Singh ‘Dinkar’ was an Indian Hindi poet, essayist, patriot and academic, whose work made him known as a poet of rebellion. His poetry exuded veer rasa, and he has been hailed as a Rashtrakavi (“National poet”) on account of his inspiring patriotic compositions.
■ The Tea Board has given a Rs 100-crore relief package for tea estates in the Darjeeling hills, where production has finally resumed in nearly three months of shutdown after agitation for a separate state. This relief package, however, has failed to bring cheer to the industry.
Plucking and other operations at the 87 tea estates in the region had come to a halt after the Gorkha Janmukti Morcha’s strike call on June 9 demanding a separate state, called Gorkhaland. The strike, the first time in the history of Darjeeling tea industry, has wiped out almost 70% of the annual tea production.
About Tea Board of India: The Tea Board is set up under the Tea Act 1953 to succeed the Central Tea Board and the Indian Tea Licencing Committee. The Tea Board is functioning as a statutory body of the Central Government under the Ministry of Commerce.The Board is reconstituted every three years.The Tea Board India is responsible for the assignment of certification numbers to exports of certain tea merchants. This certification is intended to ensure the teas’ origin, which in turn would reduce the amount of fraudulent labelling on rare teas.
■ The Inland Waterways Authority of India (IWAI) has raised Rs 660 crore through a bond sale to finance the development of national waterways. It is the second time that the authority has raised money through a bond sale. The money raised from the bonds is intended to be used for the development of national waterways.
Inland Waterways Authority of India (IWAI) is the statutory authority in charge of the waterways in India. It is headquartered in Noida, UP and performs the function of building the necessary infrastructure in these waterways, surveying the economic feasibility of new projects and also administration.
■ The five day India water week (IWW) – 2017 has concluded in New Delhi with a call for efficient management of available water resources in the country.
- The IWW- 2017 was inaugurated by President Ram Nath Kovind on October 10, 2017.
- The theme of IWW – 2017 was “Water and Energy for Inclusive Growth”.
- The event had detailed discussions on Water, Food and Energy Security – Essential requirement for sustainable development, Water for inclusive Growth, Sustainable energy development.
Note that: India is home to 17% of the world population and 11.3% of the livestock population and only 4 percent of the world’s water resources are in the country. In such a situation, we have an unprecedented challenge of providing water to such a large human and livestock population.
■ The Supreme Court of India has laid down guidelines for itself and 24 High Courts to govern designation of lawyers as Seniors. It has ordered setting up of a permanent committee headed by the Chief Justice of India assisted by a secretariat. This direction came on a petition challenging the existing designation process.
The composition of the permanent committee:
- In the case of the Supreme Court, the permanent committee will comprise the Chief Justice of India and two seniormost companion judges, Attorney General of India and a representative from the bar nominated by the first four members
- For the HCs, it will have the Chief Justice of the respective HC and the Advocate General of the state in place of CJI and Attorney General.
- A permanent secretariat will be set up to which applications including proposals from the judges will be submitted.
- The Committee will interview the candidate and make an overall evaluation on the basis of his/her number of years of practice, judgments (reported and unreported) which indicate the legal formulations advanced by the Advocate concerned in the course of the proceedings of the case, pro bono work done by him/her, domain expertise of the applicant in various branches of law and publications by the advocate.
- The candidates will also have to take a personality test. After a name is considered and approved by the permanent committee, it will be put before the Full Court (involving SC/HC judges as the case may be) which will decide to accord senior designation to an advocate either unanimously or by majority, through secret ballot.
- The Full Court may also recall the senior designation of a lawyer if it feels he is guilty of conduct that disentitles him to the same.
Note that: The Advocates Act, 1961 recognises senior advocates, under Section 16(2) “an advocate may, with his consent, be designated as senior advocate if the Supreme Court or a High Court is of opinion that by virtue of his ability (standing the Bar or special knowledge or experience in law) he is deserving or such distinction.” While Supreme Court rules say “the Chief Justice and the judges may with the consent of the advocate, designate an advocate as senior advocate if in their opinion by virtue of his ability; standing at the Bar or special knowledge or experience in law the said advocate is deserving of such distinction.” It was contended in the petition that this was not a transparent process.
Economics Today’s Current Affair Capsule – 15 October 2017
■ In order to provide an affordable life insurance services to people, especially in rural areas, the government has launched Sampoorna Bima Gram (SBG) Yojana and also expanded the coverage of Postal Life Insurance (PLI).
With this, apart from government employees, PLI will now cover professionals also.
- Under the Sampoorna Bima Gram (SBG) Yojana, at least one village (having a minimum of 100 households) will be identified in each revenue districts, wherein all households will be covered with a minimum of one RPLI (Rural Postal Life Insurance) policy each. Coverage of all households in the identified Sampoorna Bima Gram village is the primary objective of this scheme.
- Rural Postal Life Insurance (RPLI), was introduced in 1995 on the recommendations of the Malhotra Committee, to provide insurance in rural areas, especially to weaker sections and women.
Sports Current Affairs – 15 October 2017
■ In the FIFA Under-17 World cup, Japan has become the 11th team to advance to the round of 16 even as they were held to a 1-1 draw by New Caledonia in a Group E match at Kolkata.
■ Veteran historian of medieval India and noted educational administrator Satish Chandra has passed away at age of 95 years. He served as Chairman of the University Grants Commission from 1976 to 1981, and previously Vice-Chairman from 1973 to 1976. Prof. Chandra was the author of the NCERT’s medieval India textbook that was in circulation till the early 2000s and was considered the most comprehensive textbook of the era, loaded with information used extensively by all civil services aspirants.
“Current Affairs Questions for UPSC IAS Prelims – 15 October 2017”
Q1. Which city will host the International Puppet Festival (IPF-2017)?
Q2. The world’s first negative emissions plant which turns CO2 into stone has become operational in which country?
- A) Canada
- B) Sweden
- C) Iceland
- D) Russia
Q3. Who has been awarded the Indira Gandhi Award for National Integration for 2015 -16?
- A) Shyam Benegal
- B) T M Krishna
- C) Kailash Satyarthi
- D) P N Haksar
Q4. Which one of the following Indian states account for the largest share of Gherkin production in India?
- a) Andhra Pradesh
- b) Karnataka
- c) Odisha
- d) Mizoram
Q5. Which Indian Armed Force has launched an innovative mobile health App “MedWatch” for its personnel?
- A) Indian Army
- B) Indian Coast Guard
- C) Indian Air Force
- D) Indian Navy
Answer these questions in the comments below. We encourage you to discuss your thoughts on the news and issues mentioned in today’s current affairs post. The idea is to promote healthy discussions on interesting issues to make preparation fun. Have a good day!